Monday, September 19, 2011

Getting Started: Intro

A good cook should be able to cook with anything.  But let me tell you: NOTHING makes a project more fun than having the right tools, and nothing can deter you more completely than the wrong ones.  The right tools make the job easier, which means less heartache, less frustration, and more of a chance that you'll want to go back and do it again.

When on a budget, getting the right tools - especially when you are starting from scratch - becomes more of a paycheck issue than anything else.  It is still very possible to get good tools, though.  You just have to be prudent in what you buy first, and add on a little at a time as money allows.

Now, I must admit that I've been told by many of my friends that I have the most well-stocked kitchen they've seen in someone my age, and that I own gadgets they didn't even know existed.  Rest assured, that experience will be of use to all of you.  In having a lot of gadgets, I now know which ones are essential, which ones you should save up for, which ones you can do without completely, and which ones would be reeeeeally nice to get for Christmas. 

So, honestly, take the time between now and the next post to start getting into the mindset.  A good tool is worth it's weight in gold - whether that's a pot, a pan, a chef's knife, or one of those baby spoonulas.

Next up:  Cookware!

No comments:

Post a Comment