Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Getting Started: Essential Cookware Characteristics

Deciding on cookware is probably the biggest decision you need to make when starting out your kitchen.  Remember what I said about the tools making you either love or loathe cooking?  It's your pots and pans that are the most influential.  The pan you use could make or break your relationship with cooking - no joke.  This is also the point where biting the bullet to spend a little more on a good pan will save you a lot of heartache in the end.

So, to the all-important question: What does NAK suggest?

First off, do not - I repeat DO NOT - immediately get one of those sets of cookware that comes with 20 pieces for $50-$100 just because of the price.  Generally, those pots and pans are thin, do not distribute heat well, do not retain heat, and have handles that are weak (not something you want when carrying a pot of boiling water full of spaghetti!).  This is where a little research will go a long way.

Instead of going for the "college cookware" boxed deal, wait until a local department store has a sale on cookware, and get one or two really good pieces.  (Even better if you can get a set of good cookware on sale!)  If you must go with the cheaper cookware at first, only get a couple of pieces to hold you over - you will end up saving money by not double-investing in pieces!

Remember - a good piece of cookware is multipurpose and will last you a lifetime...which definitely pays for itself in the end.

Now, how do you choose what type of cookware to go with?
  1. You want something that will heat evenly and retain the heat.  This usually means that you want cookware with either copper or aluminum in the base.  Copper is fantastic - but way too expensive to even think about buying now.  I did not want the aluminum to actually touch my food, so I found a stainless steel set with an encapsulated aluminum base.  
  2. Non-stick versus plain:  I wanted to avoid non-stick because of issues with cleaning of the surface, and the potential to scratch it with metal utensils, thereby defeating the whole purpose of non-stick.  Really, in the end, this depends on your personal preference.  
  3. A secure handle: You can test this by firmly holding the pot flat on a surface with one hand and trying to push down the handle with the other.  If the handle moves without the pan, then it's not secured well enough.  If the pan gives a little instead of the handle, it's a great hold.
Once you figure out which type of cookware you want, then you can decide which piece(s) to get first.  Next, I'll countdown the top 4 pieces of cookware I use most from my set.

2 comments:

  1. Do you have any suggestions for good brands? If you had to narrow it down to just 2 pots, what would you get? WDYT of cast iron?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ingrid,

    I use the Cuisinart Chef's Classic Stainless. It's got great reviews, I love it, and it's a good price point for cookware of its type. I'd definitely wait to get one of these until a semi-annual sale, though. I'm not sure what else is out there anymore, but I'd recommend looking for something at that caliber.

    As for narrowing down to just 2, I'd really look at the top 4 I use (the rest of the posts will be coming) and pick out which ones fit most into your cooking style right now. In general, I'd say a big skillet and a saucepan (both with lids) will give you the most versatility until you can add on.

    I love cast iron, but I must admit that I only got a cast iron skillet after I already had a regular one. Making sure it stays seasoned and not being able to cook acidic foods in it pretty much determined that I needed another "regular" skillet for everyday use. I know of a lot of people who use cast iron on a daily basis, and I do love my cast iron skillet, but I just don't use it for everyday cooking as a personal choice.

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete