Saturday, February 23, 2013

My Food Resolution: Is it humanly possible?

So, we're a couple of months into a new year.  How are those resolutions going?  I know, I shouldn't ask...this is one giant can of worms.  So often we make resolutions revolving around food - typically eating less of it.  And then we wonder why the resolutions fail and we fall off the wagon.  That's why, for the last several years, I haven't made any New Year's resolutions at all - relating to food or anything else.

Until this year, that is.  You see, I've decided to try my hand at a resolution about food that doesn't require eating less of it.  I'm going to try making more of it from scratch.  Little pantry things, like butter, potato chips, crackers, bread, etc.  I figure, I will learn what's worthwhile to make from scratch and what's easier to just buy from the grocery store. 

There are a few reasons why I'm thinking this will be a good exercise for me.  First of all, it keeps me interested.  Trying to make something I've never done before is an exciting adventure in and of itself.  Then, there's the saving money aspect.  Depending on how easy it is, making a lot of things at home ends up being cheaper than buying them in the store.  Finally, I'll be able to put to rest some of the thoughts I have about "is it better for me to just buy it."  I guarantee that some things will be so much of a headache to make myself that I'll never again question buying it pre-made at the store.  But I'll never know until I try.

I suppose that this resolution will be the backbone of my blog for the foreseeable future, and I hope that you'll enjoy seeing how well (or not!) I can actually stick to my food resolution for once!

No comments:

Post a Comment